Search This Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

STORAGE IDEAS



As a professional organizer, I am constantly asked to give suggestions for the best organizing products.

     My first suggestion is always this: use what you have. You probably have decorative baskets, jars or containers stored in your home.

     My second suggestion: use items in creative ways. When I moved into my apartment, I didn’t have a basket to store my cleaning supplies. Until I could purchase something suitable, I used metal hanging baskets (for plants). I hung them from the shelf above my dryer. They are easy to reach if I need one products, or I can take the basket down and carry it from room to room as I clean.

     My third suggestion: store things where you use them. If you sort your mail in the kitchen, you are better off getting a decorative mail organizer for the kitchen, rather than storing it out of sight in an upstairs office. Chances are you won’t want to go up there all the day, so the mail will end up piling on the counter anyway.

     My fourth suggestion: make sure your organizing style matches you lifestyle and personality. Don’t try to change your habits – it won’t work. Just because it works for someone else doesn’t mean it will work for you. For example, if you know that you hate lifting lids and covers to put away or retrieve objects, don’t buy closed storage containers. Get some decorative baskets or other open containers.

     My final suggestion: make you your go through the area or space before you buy any type of storage. Sort through items and throw away old, expired, or damaged products. Then, assess how much you have so you can buy the correct amount and type of storage.
If you need to buy new storage, here are some of my favorite ideas and products. Some are inexpensive, while others require more of an investment.

Here are some of my favorite organizing products.  





The first few items are from JCPenney:


Bookcase, Studio Ladder, JCPenney











Ottoman Storage Cube, JCPenney











These products are from Target

14-inch Collapsible Cube, white, Target












3x3 Storage Unit, Cherry, Target
You can use storage baskets or cubes with this piece. Or alternate with cubes in some and books in others.












Medium Storage Basket, Blue, Target





 Here are a few items from the The Container Store.

 Medium Flat Wire Stacking Shelves, The Container Store. These are great pieces for cabinets to increase storage space. They come in many sizes. They also make types for pot and lid storage.












3-Tier Chrome Cabinet Organizer, The Container Store
This is great for organizing spices. You can see all of them in one glance.












Water Hyacinth Bins, The Container Store
This is just one type of decorative basket. They come in many shapes, sizes, colors, and more.












Flowerburst Deco Boxes –- other styles available, The Container Store
Storage boxes can be attractive!












Bamboo Drawer Organizer, The Container Store
These also come in wire or mesh versions. There are numerous styles, sizes, and
configurations. Some are even adjustable.












Silver Mesh Mail Sorter, The Container Store
Keep it at your desk, or carry it with you if you like to pay bills in another room.












The last few items are from Amazon:

Plastic Bag Storage, Amazon
There are also hanging fabric versions in numerous colors and styles. It's amazing
how many bags you can store in these products!












Laundry Sorter, Amazon
This keeps your laundry sorted, making the task of laundry a little simpler.














     These are just a few of my favorite storage and organizing ideas. I could keep going, but this will give you a good start on getting organized.

No comments :

Post a Comment